Ensure that we are providing text alternatives for people who can’t see custom objects we create.
Why this matters
- Assistive technology provides the alternative text to people using screen readers or Braille displays.
How to implement
- See Image alt text and SVG titles for forging the words themselves.
- Be sure that the alt text describes the content of the object.
- If the object represents complex content, write a long description as well.
- Review Providing a location for a long description if the object represents complex content.
- Add an
aria-labelledbyattribute to the
How to test
- Right-click and inspect the element in the browser’s developer tools.
- Ensure that the
<object>has alt text, and that it’s set to a value.
- Ensure that the value matches your Writer’s expectations.