Don’t use the Placeholder attribute
I don’t know any accessibility professionals who recommend using the placeholder attribute. I know a few who have provided ways to make placeholders less harmful (usually with content guidelines), but that’s as close as anyone gets to recommending this component.
Here’s a list of articles backing up this surprisingly volatile topic.
- Don’t Use the Placeholder Attribute by Eric Bailey on Smashing Magazine
- re-upped: placeholder — the piss-take label by Steve F.
- 11 reasons why placeholders are problematic by Adam Silver on Medium
- Placeholders in Form Fields are Harmful by Katie Sherwin at Nielsen Norman Group
- The Anatomy of Accessible Forms: The Problem with Placeholders by Raghavendra Satish at Deque
- Accessibility Considerations section of the Text Input guidelines on VA.gov indicating that placeholder text should be avoided.